Monday 1 February 2010

Some One (Came Knocking)

I am trying to gather a little information about the poem, 'Some One (Came Knocking)', and hope you can help. I'd like to know whether it appeared originally as part of a collection of poems for children, and if so which one.

Just to explain why ...! I am a Scottish-based musician and broadcaster and a native Gaelic speaker. My mother recently translated this poem into Gaelic, really just on a whim to amuse herself, but it was done so beautifully, I wondered whether it might be possible to do likewise with one or two others. She really managed to encapsulate the rhythms, rhymes - and suspense - in translation. She has a gift for it that stems from her being a singer and having an inate understanding of how the rhythms and sounds of words run naturally, whether English or Gaelic.

I'd be very grateful if you were able to point me in the right direction, as I have so far failed to find any indexed bibliography online.

Many thanks in advance - ceud taing airson ur cuideachaidh.


Mary Ann Kennedy

1 comment:

  1. It's from the collection called 'Peacock Pie', a collection of poems for children (which I grew up with). Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete